Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips

Tuesday 25 February 2014

Casual Teaching Preparations

As I am only relatively new to the teaching game, getting the calls for casual days are a mix of excitement, quickly followed by a touch of nervous butterflies. I believe the only way to combat the nerves is to be prepared! After completing my 4 year degree, I have realised that casual teaching has a different dynamic than what I experienced from practicums which reflect a more permanent role. I am a firm believer that relief teaching has an important role to play in children's education and not simply a babysitter for the day. I believe that just because the regular teacher is away the curriculum continuum shouldn't be put on hold no matter how long the cover is required for. It is a chance for children to experience another teacher as well for the teacher to see how another classroom works. Although I would love nothing more to have a permanent role, I am an eternal optimist and see that casual teaching gives me a added benefit to experience a range of other teachers classrooms, which wouldn't be the case if I went straight into a full-time role.

I have found some very helpful advice from a range of blogs and hope you too find them helpful;


I am also obsessed with Pinterest with such a range of ideas for all Key Learning Areas. 

If you are anything like me you have accumulated a range of resources and piles and piles of stuff that could...maybe...hopefully be used in the future. After sorting and re-organising the hoard of teaching stuff, I have decided that it is probably best to not buy ANYTHING unless I will use more than once. It can be hard to decide on what to take to schools on your casual days. If it is your first time in a class I can recommend checking with the teacher to see what they have been learning (i.e. themes or units etc),  I believe that it shows the teacher you are interested in what they are currently doing and it gives you an opportunity to bring relevant work with you as your PLAN B. I would also suggest having a Sub-Pack containing:

  • Whiteboard markers
  • Stamps & stickers
  • Other stationary (but don't go overboard)
  • Post-it notes
  • Panadol & Bandaids
  • Whistle
  • USB
  • My chicken friend is a replacement for a bell
  • Hat is a MUST -not shown :)


Always have an outfit prepared the night before, I get up and ready early. I figure it takes 2mins to dress so I don't necessarily put my teaching gear on if I don't have a gig that day but it saves me running around like a bird caught inside trying to decide what to wear!

I hope this helps, feel free to comment on your experiences and advice!

No comments:

Post a Comment